Our CoarseCoat was created for dealing with problem substates such as rough and uneven floors where the use of a self levelling compound may not be practical or convenient and a microcement base layer may not be thick enough.
This product is also recommended for creating a very strong and robust base coat surface for any high traffic environments.
CARRcrete CoarseCoat Microcement contains our bespoke and unique cement binder plus amongst others a very high strength powdered acrylic copolymers (high strength adhesion promoter) that bind very securely to all correctly prepared substrates.
Benefits Of Using CARRcrete Products
- Designed by industry professionals
- Easy to mix, colour and apply
- Premium ingredients and latest tech formulas
- Much tougher products than the competition
- No calcium carbonate or marble
- Simply mix with water, no need for liquid polymer
- Incredible high compressive strength
- Includes synthetic resins
- Rapid hardening, medium set
- High abrasion resistance
- Naturally low porosity and hydrophobic
- Beautifully off white colour until coloured
- Easy to apply for professionals
- Crack free and shrinkage free
- Colour: Off white
- Can be coloured: Yes
- Maximum liquid pigment: 10 grams per 1 Kg powder
- Size of grains: < 1.7mm
- Pot Life: <60 minutes
- Recoat time: 4 Hours+
- Sand After: 12+ Hours
- Water required: < 250 ml per Kg
- Compressive Strength: C35+ @ 28 days
- Coverage: 0.5m2 per Kg (12.5m2 per bag)
- Package size: 25 Kg plastic buckets
How To Prepare Substrate
- Non-porous substrates: Ensure the surface is clean, dry and free of bond breaking contaminants. Apply epoxy resin primer to surface and whilst tacky blind the epoxy fully with Chelford 30 sand (0.5mm). Be careful not to leave any bare patches of epoxy. Allow epoxy to dry and harden fully before removing excess loose sand.
- Porous cementitious substrates: Ensure the surface is keyed with either coarse 30/40 grit metal bond diamond tooling or a fine shot blast to create a textured surface. The surface must be dry, clean and free of bond breaking contaminants. Apply CARRcrete PROprime acrylic resin primer mixed 3 parts water to 1 part primer. Allow to dry fully before commencing with application.
- Non-cementitious flow screeds: We do not recommend the use of this product over gypsum or calcium sulphate substrates, due to the unpredictable nature of these types of screed.
** For peace of mind we always recommend applying thin decorative beton cire type products over concrete flooring or fibre enhanced cement based screeds.
General Site Precautions
- Site should be weather tight and with minimum temperature of 10’C
- Through drafts may cause uneven drying to occur
- Mask up any items that need protection; doors, windows, skirting, furniture etc
- Work from the farthest corner back to a doorway
- Large areas are better controlled by using multiple applicators
How To Mix
This product should only be mixed with cool clean water; cement mixed with warm water will reduce the set time to an uncontrollable rate. If colouring the product, always use CARRcrete colour packs to ensure compatibilityAlways agitate the product in its bucket before mixing
- Always agitate the product in its bucket before mixing
- Only mix what you can apply within 60 minutes
- Use less than 250 grams of water for each 1 Kg of product required
- Add required CARRcrete colour to water, rinse out container into mixing water
- Mix at slow speed with electric paddle mixer
- Gradually add the CoarseCoat powder to the bucket whilst mixing
- After 1-2 minutes, product should be lump free
- Scrape down sides into the mix
- Allow mixed product to slacken off for 1-2 minutes
- Re-mix for 1 minute to ensure all is fully combined
How To Apply
- Use a plasterers bucket scoop to place the cement mixed product on the surface.
- Prevent drops of product from setting on substrate to prevent shadow spots
- Spread the CoarseCoat out with a semi-rigid stainless steel trowel, applying pressure to the surface to push the coat into the substrate
- You should feel the trowel pass over the grains of glass and quartz, this action determines the thickness of the microcement base layer
- Apply as many coats as required to form a smoother substrate
- You can apply subsequent coats as soon as the application can take your weight without causing damage. Alternatively allow to dry
- Only sand between layers of CoarseCoat if you need it to be as smooth as possible or to create a more polished final finish.
- Allow to dry overnight and sand final base coat before applying our BaseCoat
MicroFloor CoarseCoat allows you to quickly cover a primed surface with a thicker, more coarse microcement product incorporating much larger grains of glass and quartz. There's no need for mesh unless you are covering cracks.
We often use this product fresh on fresh to take out some of the roughness and imperfections of less than optimal concrete floor surfaces. Sometimes, screeds and concretes may not be as flat and smooth as we’d like and many self levelling compounds are too soft to act as a microcement base.
This is where CARRcrete CoarseCoat comes into place as it is easy to apply and hardens quickly with a level of durability and strength beyond that of a leveller.
CARRcrete MicroFloor CoarseCoat is essentially an uprated version of our BaseCoat but instead of using 0.5mm glass and quartz particles, 1.5mm grains are used. This increased grain size not only allows rougher surfaces to be prepared ready for a standard base layer, but also increases the overall compressive strength of the overlay.
In applications where applying a self levelling compound may be problematic, MicroFloor CoarseCoat can be applied in multiple layers to build up floors, patch low spots and forms a foundation for the ultimate hard wearing micro overlay system.
Mixed with water without the need for a separate liquid polymer as all the polymer resins are in a powdered form and applied in the same fashion as our BaseCoat layers. This product naturally boasts a superb ease of application with great rheology, workability and flow, plus it is rapid hardening to enable the contractor to apply and get ready for the next process more quickly.
This high strength product comes uncoloured and sets to an off-white finish, you are naturally free to colour it with CARRcrete colour packs.
MicroFloor CoarseCoat is also suitable for a textured non-slip finish when correctly abraded.
** If this product should used a decorative flooring solution please ensure a suitable sealer is used such are our polyurethane sealer to provide a waterproof protective layer.
Our MicroGuard is a water-based varnish that includes polyurethane and nano sized ceramic particles. It is the ultimate in polyurethane varnish suitable for residential, commercial and industrial flooring.
MicroFloor CoarseCoat like all CARRcrete microcement products is supplied in 20 Kg recycle-able plastic buckets.